7/30/2013

Don't forget to laugh

Someone forwarded me an article yesterday on sleep deprivation and mothers of young children.  A sweet and hilarious personal essay recounting great stories like "I walked into a wall and sent my kid to school with an onion instead of an apple" and "that time when I almost fell asleep while walking a couple of blocks with my kid in a baby carrier."  When you truly love the best parts of your job (yes, being a mom is a job - though it won't pay the bills and it's *really* hard to quit), you can laugh at the ridiculous bits.  You know, the ridiculous bits that test your every limit and make you want to cry or hit something; the ridiculous bits that might make someone who's never experienced such a thing smile, but makes instant compatriots out of those who share the experience and gives members of the sister/brotherhood a chance to laugh loudly and deeply, with real guffaws.  I personally laugh in the face of utter exhaustion.

Which is all to say: Fundraisers have a lot to laugh about.  This gig (paid or volunteer) is crazy.  It's hard.  And people are crazy, which makes asking them for money even crazier, and harder.

You need a good laugh.

I can't recommend fundraisergrrl strongly enough for a quick pick-me-up.  I have smiled, I have laughed out loud.  Yes, I say, yes!

Go check her out at fundraisergrrl.tumblr.com

No comments:

Post a Comment